Why I Keep this Blog

When I first discovered my dietary restrictions, I felt deprived, but then I discovered that all Baby Boomers, in fact people of most ages, should probably be eating the same way to ensure a long, healthy life, and that I can still eat and cook very good food.

I don't even bother to go down many isles of the grocery store any more. Most of what I cook and eat is fresh. Very, very little is pre-prepared, and anytime I buy anything already processed, I read the label to inspect every ingredient that goes into it before it goes into me.

But I eat very well. These are recipes that fit into my diet. If you enjoy them, welcome to my collection. Cheers!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Lime Juice Is the New Salt (and 5 Other Tricks to Learn from ABC Kitchen's Dan Kluger)

I know.  I've been bad.  I haven't been posting much for a very good reason . . . I'm not cooking much.  I'm trying to break out of my diabetic plateau with an almost totally high-protien diet, at least during the week.  I eat chicken, fish, a little cheese, eggbeaters and nuts.  Thats. It.  Boring, but if my blood sugar and my weight go down, it'll be worth the struggle. And it's not permanent.  So I haven't really been thinking food.

But then I saw this on Bon Apetite:

lime_with_chile.jpg
Lime Juice Is the New Salt

I LOVE lime juice!

When ABC Kitchen chefs Jean-Georges Vongerichten and Dan Kluger look at vegetables, they don't see side dishes--they see stars. Last year, when Vongerichten opened the restaurant in New York City's ABC Carpet & Home, part of the draw was the farmers' market at nearby Union Square. But the food at ABC Kitchen is more than veggies on a plate with a drizzle of olive oil. The dishes explode with flavor, electrified with deft touches: a splash of artisanal vinegar, fresh chiles, just-chopped mint.

It's what Kluger, the executive chef, calls "creating peaks and valleys," a terrain that engages the taste buds. And it's achieved with simple techniques that don't call for much more than a sharp knife and a Microplane zester. Once you get the hang of it, it will change how you cook--especially at this time of year. "In the summer, we maximize the flavor and minimize the ingredients," says Vongerichten. Oui, chef!

Find Kluger's tips for amped-up flavor--and the recipes to prove it--
click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment