Why I Keep this Blog

When I first discovered my dietary restrictions, I felt deprived, but then I discovered that all Baby Boomers, in fact people of most ages, should probably be eating the same way to ensure a long, healthy life, and that I can still eat and cook very good food.

I don't even bother to go down many isles of the grocery store any more. Most of what I cook and eat is fresh. Very, very little is pre-prepared, and anytime I buy anything already processed, I read the label to inspect every ingredient that goes into it before it goes into me.

But I eat very well. These are recipes that fit into my diet. If you enjoy them, welcome to my collection. Cheers!

Friday, July 15, 2011

GOAT CHEESE AND ZUCCHINI FRITTATA

I'm trying this recipe from Whole Foods in the morning. I have all the ingredients at home!






2 eggs eggbeaters
Salt and pepper to taste 
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil* 
Few thin slices of red onion 
1/2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced 
1 ounce fresh goat cheese* 
1 roasted red pepper from a jar, chopped 
Small handful fresh herbs such as parsley and chives, roughly chopped 

Serves 1

Serve this perfect frittata for one with a green salad on the side, if you like. Ingredients with an asterisk (*) are available in the Whole Foods Market Family of Brands.

Ingredients









Method

Beat eggs and season well. Heat oil in a small cast iron or other ovenproof skillet and cook onion and zucchini 2 to 3 minutes to soften. Add eggs and cook 1 to 2 minutes until almost set. Dot with goat cheese and roasted red pepper, then sprinkle with herbs. Place under broiler until golden, 2 to 3 minutes.

Nutrition

Per serving (about 11oz/314g-wt.): 390 calories (270 from fat), 30g total fat, 9g saturated fat, 435mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium, 11g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 6g sugar), 20g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment