Why I Keep this Blog

When I first discovered my dietary restrictions, I felt deprived, but then I discovered that all Baby Boomers, in fact people of most ages, should probably be eating the same way to ensure a long, healthy life, and that I can still eat and cook very good food.

I don't even bother to go down many isles of the grocery store any more. Most of what I cook and eat is fresh. Very, very little is pre-prepared, and anytime I buy anything already processed, I read the label to inspect every ingredient that goes into it before it goes into me.

But I eat very well. These are recipes that fit into my diet. If you enjoy them, welcome to my collection. Cheers!

Monday, August 15, 2011

Mint Julep Scallops

This recipe called to me (my hubby loves scallops), but I had to make a few changes to fit it into my diet:

Mint Julep Scallops
Mint Julep Scallops

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Yield: 1 serving (2 if served as appetizer)

Ingredients

  • 1 teaspoon cooking oil (Canola) Actuallly I've read some pros and cons of Canola oil, but I'm going with  Flaxseed Oil instead
  • 4 each scallops, large - cleaned
  • 1 tablespoon Makers Mark (Choose your poison. The alcohol will burn off)
  • 1/2 pint blackberries (Cherries are lower on the gylcemic index)
  • 1/4 stick of butter (Promise, and maybe a little extra butter flavoring)
  • 5 each mint leaves - sliced
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Combine and use for the seasoning scallops:
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 tablespoon mixed peppercorns - ground

Preparation

In a medium sized sauté pan add the cooking oil and bring it up to a high temperature.
  1. Add the seasoned scallops and once they have caramelized on one side flip them and continue cooking until crispy golden brown on both sides.
  2. Deglaze with the whiskey and step back while the alcohol burns off.
  3. Slowly stir in the Promise. When the Promise has melted almost entirely add the mint and cherries. Let the flavors melt together another minute, then remove from heat.
  4. Garnish with a sprig of fresh mint and serve. Enjoy!

Brought to you by Chef Brian Malarkey over at Dacor

No comments:

Post a Comment