Why I Keep this Blog

When I first discovered my dietary restrictions, I felt deprived, but then I discovered that all Baby Boomers, in fact people of most ages, should probably be eating the same way to ensure a long, healthy life, and that I can still eat and cook very good food.

I don't even bother to go down many isles of the grocery store any more. Most of what I cook and eat is fresh. Very, very little is pre-prepared, and anytime I buy anything already processed, I read the label to inspect every ingredient that goes into it before it goes into me.

But I eat very well. These are recipes that fit into my diet. If you enjoy them, welcome to my collection. Cheers!

Friday, August 19, 2011

Vinegar to Lower Blood Sugar

I've just read an article on the Diabetes Self Management blog that recommends vinegar before each meal and at bedtime to improve blood glucose readings. I'm going to try it!  I remember my mother drinking vinegar and honey to try to lose weight. I won't be adding honey . . .  but some other suggestions are listed below.  


One other thing.  Balsamic vinegar contains a lot of sugar. Never suspected that.  No more balsamic vinegar in my pantry!  One reader commented that it also lowers blood sugar, which will be good for some people and a problem for others.  Also someone suggested drinking it with a straw to protect your tooth enamel.


Mix vinegar with a sweetener that works for you and serve it with cucumbers.


Filipijo Adobo meat (I'll only use this for chicken, since I don't eat beef or pork). The vinegar breaks down the toughest of meats Mix one part water with one part vinegar or two parts water to one part vinegar for a weaker taste.  Cover your meat.  Add whole peppercorns and a bay leaf into the pot and maybe pickling spice. Then, just boil your meat slowly. It will be very tender. 


Sekajuban (spelling varies). It’s a wonderful Islamic or Persian drink that is extremely tasty and refreshing, replaces electrolytes, and calms nausea. It's said to make you feel cooler and encourages you to drink more water.


Dissolve your chosen sweetener  (The recipe I've seen calls for 4 cups!) in 2 1/2 cups of water and boil. When boiling, add one cup of wine vinegar. Simmer for one half hour and add a handful of mint.  Remove from the fire and pour through cheesecloth to remove the mint. Let it cool and serve with ice.  You know, this isn't all that different than a ojito, except you're adding vinegar instead of lime and leaving out the rum . .. 

No comments:

Post a Comment