Why I Keep this Blog

When I first discovered my dietary restrictions, I felt deprived, but then I discovered that all Baby Boomers, in fact people of most ages, should probably be eating the same way to ensure a long, healthy life, and that I can still eat and cook very good food.

I don't even bother to go down many isles of the grocery store any more. Most of what I cook and eat is fresh. Very, very little is pre-prepared, and anytime I buy anything already processed, I read the label to inspect every ingredient that goes into it before it goes into me.

But I eat very well. These are recipes that fit into my diet. If you enjoy them, welcome to my collection. Cheers!

Friday, June 10, 2011

Swordfish with Mango Coriander Salsa

So, I'm on a mango kick.  I have a mango in my frig, and I can't wait to eat it.  Of course, I've heard that mangoes down in the Caribbean put our grocery store varieties to shame. I plan to find out for myself some day . . . But in the meantime, I'm going to try this recipe for supper 


This recipe is from The Best Diabetes Cookbook

Ingredients

  • 1-1/2 pounds swordfish steaks
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable oilSalsa Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 cups finely diced mango or peach
  • 3/4 cup finely diced red peppers
  • 1/2 cup finely diced green peppers
  • 1/2 cup finely diced red onions
  • 1/4 chopped fresh coriander
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic


Directions

  1. Start barbecue or preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
  2. Brush fish with 1 teaspoon of oil on both sides. Barbecue or bake fish for 10 minutes per inch thickness, or until if flakes easily when pierced with a fork.
  3. Meanwhile, in bowl combine mango, red peppers, green peppers, red onions, coriander, lemon juice, olive oil and garlic; mix thoroughly. Serve over fish.

Nutritional Information (Per Serving)
Calories:219
Protein:26 g
Sodium:111 mg
Cholesterol:49 mg
Fat:8 g
Dietary Fiber:2 g
Carbohydrates:12 g
Exchanges:1/3 Fruit, 1 Vegetable, 3-1/2 Very Lean Meat, 1 Fat

No comments:

Post a Comment