Why I Keep this Blog

When I first discovered my dietary restrictions, I felt deprived, but then I discovered that all Baby Boomers, in fact people of most ages, should probably be eating the same way to ensure a long, healthy life, and that I can still eat and cook very good food.

I don't even bother to go down many isles of the grocery store any more. Most of what I cook and eat is fresh. Very, very little is pre-prepared, and anytime I buy anything already processed, I read the label to inspect every ingredient that goes into it before it goes into me.

But I eat very well. These are recipes that fit into my diet. If you enjoy them, welcome to my collection. Cheers!

Friday, June 10, 2011

Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing

I used to eat a MUCH less healthy version of this when I was a kid:  YUM!


Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing

Makes: 8 servings Serving Size: 1/2 cup Prep Time: 5 minutes

Ingredients

Cooking spray
6 strips turkey bacon, diced
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp salt
1 10-ounce bag fresh spinach leaves, torn

Directions

[1]Coat a small sauté pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add bacon and sauté 3 minutes, or until bacon is crispy. Add remaining ingredients except spinach and bring to boil. Boil for 5-7 minutes or until slightly thickened.
[2]Place spinach in a large bowl. Drizzle hot dressing over spinach and toss to coat.

Exchanges

1/2 Fat
1/2 Carbohydrate

Basic Nutritional Values

Calories63
   Calories from Fat33
Total Fat4 g
   Saturated Fat1 g
Cholesterol8 g
Sodium229 mg
Total Carbohydrate6 g
   Dietary Fiber1 g
   Sugars5 g
Protein3 g

Chef's Tip

Turkey bacon is an excellent, healthier substitute for real bacon. Use it in any recipe—you won't be able to tell the difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment