Why I Keep this Blog

When I first discovered my dietary restrictions, I felt deprived, but then I discovered that all Baby Boomers, in fact people of most ages, should probably be eating the same way to ensure a long, healthy life, and that I can still eat and cook very good food.

I don't even bother to go down many isles of the grocery store any more. Most of what I cook and eat is fresh. Very, very little is pre-prepared, and anytime I buy anything already processed, I read the label to inspect every ingredient that goes into it before it goes into me.

But I eat very well. These are recipes that fit into my diet. If you enjoy them, welcome to my collection. Cheers!

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Shrimp and Mango Ceviche

Oh, how I love Ceviche.  I had my first Ceviche at a beach bar in Mexico. It was an all-inclusive, and I practically lived on the stuff all week.   That and Mango Smoothies


This Ceviche recipe from Whole Foods looks so yummy, and it includes shrimp and (wait for it) MANGOS!!!!




Serves 6 to 8
This fully cooked, brightly flavored ceviche is good enough to eat all by itself, piled into bowls over shredded lettuce and served as an appetizer or light lunch. But don't hesitate to scoop it up with tortilla chips, too.

Ingredients

3/4 pound (about 30) medium peeled-and-deveined shrimp 
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion 
6 tablespoons lime juice 
1/4 cup roughly chopped cilantro 
1 large mango, peeled, pitted and chopped 
1 tomato, cored and chopped 
1 or 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded (if desired) and finely chopped 
3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt 

Method

Bring a medium pot of generously salted water to a boil. Add shrimp and cook until pink and cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold running water and drain again. 

Chop shrimp into 1/2-inch pieces and transfer to a large bowl. Add onion, lime juice, cilantro, mango, tomato, jalapeño and salt and toss well. Cover and chill until cold, about 1 hour. 

Nutrition

Per serving: 80 calories (10 from fat), 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 75mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 8g total carbohydrate (1g dietary fiber, 6g sugar), 10g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment