Why I Keep this Blog

When I first discovered my dietary restrictions, I felt deprived, but then I discovered that all Baby Boomers, in fact people of most ages, should probably be eating the same way to ensure a long, healthy life, and that I can still eat and cook very good food.

I don't even bother to go down many isles of the grocery store any more. Most of what I cook and eat is fresh. Very, very little is pre-prepared, and anytime I buy anything already processed, I read the label to inspect every ingredient that goes into it before it goes into me.

But I eat very well. These are recipes that fit into my diet. If you enjoy them, welcome to my collection. Cheers!

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Skewered Shrimp and Zucchini with Basil Cream Sauce

This yummy shrimp recipe is posted on recipe.com (They found it at Better Homes and Gardens.) and fits very nicely into my diet.  Does it fit into yours?



A whirled-together, fat-free basil-and-chive sour cream sauce makes a soothing counterpoint for the low-calorie cayenne- and orange-brushed shrimp in this grilled main dish recipe.
Ingredients
  • 1 8-ounce container fat-free or light dairy sour cream
  • 1/2 cup snipped fresh basil
  • 3 tablespoonssnipped fresh chives
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1-1/4 pounds fresh or frozen large shrimp
  •  1-1/4 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1-inch-thick slices (about 1 pound total)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel or lime peel
  • 1 tablespoon orange juice or lime juice
  • 1/4   teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 5 cups shredded fresh spinach, arugula, and/or romaine
  • Fresh basil leaves (optional)  Not optional for me. I LOVE basil
Directions
1. For sauce, in a food processor or blender, combine sour cream, the sniped basil, the chives, 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and the black pepper. Cover and process or blend until nearly smooth. Cover and chill until ready to serve.

2. Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. On long skewers,* alternately thread shrimp and zucchini, leaving a 1/4-inch space between pieces. In a small bowl, combine oil, orange or lime peel, orange or lime juice, cayenne pepper, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; brush evenly on shrimp and zucchini.

3. Place skewers on the greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill about 10 minutes or until shrimp are opaque, turning once.

4. Arrange shredded greens on a serving platter. Top with skewers. If desired, garnish sauce with basil leaves. Serve sauce with skewers. Makes 6 servings.


*If using wooden skewers, soak in enough water to cover for 30 minutes; drain before using.

Nutrition
Calories 171, Total Fat 6 g, Saturated Fat 1 g, Cholesterol 108 mg, Sodium 447 mg, Carbohydrate 10 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 19 g. Exchanges: Vegetable 2, Fat 1.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

No comments:

Post a Comment