Why I Keep this Blog

When I first discovered my dietary restrictions, I felt deprived, but then I discovered that all Baby Boomers, in fact people of most ages, should probably be eating the same way to ensure a long, healthy life, and that I can still eat and cook very good food.

I don't even bother to go down many isles of the grocery store any more. Most of what I cook and eat is fresh. Very, very little is pre-prepared, and anytime I buy anything already processed, I read the label to inspect every ingredient that goes into it before it goes into me.

But I eat very well. These are recipes that fit into my diet. If you enjoy them, welcome to my collection. Cheers!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Indian Spiced Cauliflower

Indian Spiced Cauliflower 

Hello, I’m Michele Manfredi for About.com Food. Today, I’d like to show you how to make Indian spiced cauliflower. This exotic side dish is so easy to make and a great way to enjoy nutritious cauliflower.
Preparing the Cauliflower

We’re going to start by removing the core from our head of cauliflower; I like to use a short, sharp knife. Go in at a 45-degree angle and simply rotate your head of cauliflower around while cutting around the core with a knife, then just pop it right out. Once the core is removed we’re going to separate the cauliflower into large pieces. Just use your knife where the stems attach to the center. When separating the larger pieces, make sure to cut right through the middle of the stem. This is the size I like to cut mine into.

Mix Melted Butter and Indian Spices

Now we’re going to melt ½ stick of butter in the microwave, to that we’re going to add 2 teaspoons of garam masala, which is an Indian spice blend. You should be able to find this in any large supermarket that stocks international ingredients. If you can’t find this, just use a curry powder, or another Indian spice blend, I’ve even used tandoori spice for this. I’m also going to add a ¼ teaspoon of turmeric and a dash of cayenne pepper, but that’s optional, give that a good mix and pour it over the cauliflower.

Coat the Cauliflower and Bake

Use your spatula to coat the cauliflower thoroughly, then I’m going to add a big pinch of salt and we’re going to transfer that onto our baking sheet. Before putting them into the oven, make sure they are all spaced evenly on your sheet pan, this way they will cook uniformly. We’re going to put those in a pre-heated 425-degree oven for approximately 35-40 minutes. I like to turn mine halfway through.

Enjoy the Indian Spiced Cauliflower

They’re done when the stems are tender and the edges will be nicely browned and caramelized. I like to test mine with a paring knife. This is such a great side dish, those Indian spices marry so well with the cauliflower and this is so simple, it’s perfect for a dinner party.

No comments:

Post a Comment