Why I Keep this Blog

When I first discovered my dietary restrictions, I felt deprived, but then I discovered that all Baby Boomers, in fact people of most ages, should probably be eating the same way to ensure a long, healthy life, and that I can still eat and cook very good food.

I don't even bother to go down many isles of the grocery store any more. Most of what I cook and eat is fresh. Very, very little is pre-prepared, and anytime I buy anything already processed, I read the label to inspect every ingredient that goes into it before it goes into me.

But I eat very well. These are recipes that fit into my diet. If you enjoy them, welcome to my collection. Cheers!

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Lemony Lentil Salad with Salmon

I have left-over salmon we smoked in our back yard in the frig.  And we love lentils.   YUM!  (Disappointed that we couldn't find canned lentils at Whole Foods)


Salmon and lentils are a familiar combo in French bistro cooking. For the best presentation, flake the salmon with a fork, then stir gently into the salad to keep it in chunks, not tiny bits.


Ingredients

Serves: 
    • 1/3 cup lemon juice
    • 1/3 cup chopped fresh dill
    • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    • Freshly ground pepper to taste
    • 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
    • 1 cup diced seedless cucumber
    • 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
    • 2 15-ounce cans lentils, rinsed, or 3 cups cooked brown or green lentils (see Tip)
    • 2 7-ounce cans salmon, drained and flaked, or 1 1/2 cups flaked cooked salmon

Directions

Whisk lemon juice, dill, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Add bell pepper, cucumber, onion, lentils and salmon; toss to coat.
Tip: To cook lentils: Place in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cook until just tender, about 20 minutes for green lentils and 30 minutes for brown. Drain and rinse under cold water.

Nutrition Facts

Per Single Serving / Serves 6 Total
Calories354Total Carbohydrates25gm8%
Calories from fat 162Total Fat 18gm28%
Saturated Fat3gm15%Mono Unsaturated Fat12gm
Protein24gmCholesterol31mg10%
Fiber9gm9%Sodium194mg8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
** Nutrient information is not available.


http://www.kitchendaily.com/recipe/lemony-lentil-salad-with-salmon-389/#ixzz1Qyn35zP0

No comments:

Post a Comment