Why I Keep this Blog

When I first discovered my dietary restrictions, I felt deprived, but then I discovered that all Baby Boomers, in fact people of most ages, should probably be eating the same way to ensure a long, healthy life, and that I can still eat and cook very good food.

I don't even bother to go down many isles of the grocery store any more. Most of what I cook and eat is fresh. Very, very little is pre-prepared, and anytime I buy anything already processed, I read the label to inspect every ingredient that goes into it before it goes into me.

But I eat very well. These are recipes that fit into my diet. If you enjoy them, welcome to my collection. Cheers!

Monday, April 25, 2011

Quinoa With Shallots and Asparagus

Quinoa With Shallots and Asparagus


quinoa

Sauteéd (or grilled) asparagus and shallots add wonderful flavor and texture to this healthy – and easy – quinoa dish. Try it for Meatless Monday!
Quinoa With Shallots and Asparagus
1 cup quinoa
2 cups vegetable stock
2 shallots, finely chopped
15 spears thin asparagus, trimmed of woody ends
1 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Sea salt and pepper, to taste

Rinse quinoa under cool water until water runs clear; set aside to drain.
In a medium-sized saucepan bring stock to a boil; add quinoa. Bring back to a boil then reduce heat to a low simmer.
Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until liquid has absorbed.
In the meantime, finely chop shallots and set aside.
In a skillet, heat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high and toss in asparagus spears; saute until nicely browned.
Remove from pan and slice at an angle into 1.5-inch pieces. Set aside.
Reduce heat to medium, add the remaining oil and sweat the shallots (do not brown them). Set aside with asparagus.
Fluff the quinoa with a fork, then add shallots and asparagus.
Stir until combined.
Season to taste with sea salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment